BATHROOM | WATER | THE LIGHTKEEPER’S HOUSE
Tranøy, Hamarøy, Norway | 1986
Tranøy Fyrstasjon (Norwegian: Tranøy lighthouse station) stands outermost on the island of Hamarøy, facing the approach to the Vestfjord. A red-and white-painted lighthouse towers above a cluster of fisherman’s cabins and wharf houses, including the converted boathouse of Fjøsetvar (Norwegian; barn owl), now home to the lightkeeper.
The Tranøy Light was first lit in 1864, when it was housed on the roof of what today is the old lighthouse keeper’s cottage. Tranøy, like all other lighthouses along the coast, was home to a lighthouse keeper and his family. They reared sheep, a pig and a cow and did a bit of fishing. These painted cabins (Norwegian; rorbus) are today popular with visitors to Hamsun’s Rike and have now been renovated and are used as accommodation. They normally have a living room, kitchen and sanitary facilities.
Long before the Swedish, Finnish or even the Viking culture had developed, the Scandinavian peninsula was populated by the Sami. The oldest written source of knowledge on the Sami's is the Roman historian Tacitus' who describes fenni in a book from 98 AD.