LIVING & DINING ROOM | FIRE | THE MEAD HALL OF TWR-Â-GÂN
Snowdonia, Wales, United Kingdom | 1887
The first record of a settlement on this site is c. 645 AD. Celtic missionaries from Ireland noted a building named ‘the Mead Hall of Twr-â-Gân’ (Welsh; the tower of song) and occupied by ‘tanist and bard Huan Caius Mereddin’. There is also mention of ravens roosting in the ruined turrets.
The current watchtower was built by Welsh prince, Llywelyn ab lorwerth, in the late Middle Ages (c. 1210-1240), to control a strategic pass upon the cliffs leading through his mountainous kingdom. Impressively situated at the base of Yr Wyddfa (Welsh; the tomb) upon the edge of Snowdownia, the keep is served by the nearby Dudrychllyn Tarn (Welsh; black mirror), a copper-blue oval lake.
Extensively remodeled throughout its history, the tower has most recently been extensively renovated by the occultist, Jonathan D’Ante. Part of the Victorian occult renaissance, D’Ante and his bohemian acquaintances are inspired by art, the mysteries and ceremonial magic. To accommodate their extended stays, every door, all the flooring and many architectural features have been renewed, including the addition of a wide Elizabethan-style window and extensive boiler system.